Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Interview Meme: Food, Questions, Answers

Aklelda the Gleeful over at Saints and Spinners thought of a few questions for my interview meme. She came up with four questions for everyone who wanted to participate, and then one special question for each person. Gulp. So go grab some coffee or tea, pull up a chair and stay awhile. Let's have some delicious food and I'll let you in on a few good things.

1) If my family came over to your house for dinner, what sorts of things would be good to prepare so that everyone could partake of the meal and enjoy it? (Note: This was the last question Aklelda the Gleeful asked, but I'll answer it first so you can join in, have some dinner and delightful conversation.)

As you may all know by now, my middle child has severe food allergies to dairy, dairy proteins, egg whites, shellfish, and nuts. Food tends to be overly inspected to make sure it is fit to enter our home and into middle child's mouth. But, don't let yourself think that if you come over for dinner, all you'll be served is warm water and watery gruel. Oh no. You'll be exposed to quite a feast of gastronomic delights. So don't run away. Sit down and stay for a bit.

First, let me share the 3 house rules with you. I sometimes offer a couple dishes that may contain a bit of dairy product. Therefore, #1. We ask our family and guests to wash their hands before dinner and after dinner. Just so we can eliminate as many allergens from everyone's hands that can cross contaminate items in our home our allergic child regularly uses. Such as the sofa, tables, chairs, tv clicker, etc. #2. Do not be offended if middle child is reluctant or won't hug you goodbye or let you kiss her on the cheek. She's watching what people put in their mouths and doesn't want an allergic reaction. #3. I tend to make alot of food when we entertain. So eat, drink, tell some good jokes and have a great time. And now, here's my impress the guests entertainment menu (only one item contains something Middle Child would be allergic to. Everything else, even desserts she can eat. Desserts do not contain egg, butter or nuts). Enjoy!

Appetizers
  • Lemon Hummus, Tabouli and Mini Whole Wheat Pita Pockets
  • Roasted Eggplant and Red Pepper Dip with Cut up Carrots, Red andYellow Peppers, Cucumbers and Celery
  • Salsa, Guacomole and Chips
Dinner
  • Homemade Chive and Sea Salt Focaccia Bread with Crushed Red Pepper, Garlic Dipping Oil
  • Broiled Blackened Salmon with a Zesty Black Bean, Red Pepper and Corn Salad, garnished with Cilantro
  • Salt crusted, Pepper Rubbed Roast Beef
  • Roasted Asparagus
  • Broiled Portabello Mushrooms stuffed with Artichokes, Roasted Egglant and Red Pepper Dip and Feta Cheese
  • Mashed Potato with Chives
  • Garden Salad
Dessert
  • Decadent Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes (so good Bon Appetit even had it in their magazine a couple years ago)
  • Jam Filled Vegan Thumb Cookies (tweaked recipe from The Barefoot Contessa)
  • Vegan Banana Cake (tweaked recipe from The Barefoot Contessa)


2 )What fairy tale, myth or fictional story are you most drawn to as your own, and why? Tell me about childhood associations, parallels with your own life, fulfillment of wishes, etc.

I love fairy tales. The idea of having a fairy godmother or gallant knight at my beck and call just totally occupied my thoughts as a young girl. I loved to imagine how I was the sad, misunderstood princess who would be whisked away to a better life. That was until I grew up and realized that fairy tales are lovely, but they're even better when you have control and take action to make your own destiny.

Enter Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. Ella is cursed by a gift of obedience, from an ostentatious fairy. While Ella is destined to obey commands, she relishes the thought of rebelling as much as she can. This wonderful reworking of Cinderella, shows Ella as an intelligent, sassy, thoughtful girl who seeks to end her curse of obedience. Through sheer will, quick thinking and lots of determination, Ella ventures on a road to take control of her own destiny. What spirited girl wouldn't love a fairy tale like this one?

This story resonates with me because as a young girl, I was often times the rebellious girl when it came to obedience. I would obviously submit to obeying my parents' rules; however, it was definitely always a struggle. I love how Ella takes charge of her own life, seeking to control what plagues her most, and ends up finding herself in the process. Oh, and she saves the prince. How's that for great fairy tale?


3) What story makes you angry? How does it make you angry?

There are two stories that just irk me. One is Cinderella. Little girls just get this dreamy idea they are just going to fall in love with Prince Charming and he will whisk them away from all their troubles into a world of happily ever after.

The second story that really rubs me the wrong way is Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst. Poor Alexander is having a tough day, and not one person steps in to comfort the boy. Yea, I get the idea that sometimes everyone has a bad day and kids need to have a book that tells them that you can't run away from your bad day. But. I'd like to think that someone, anyone would offer a kind word, a hug or show a way to let out his frustrations in a productive way. A friend. A teacher. A sibling. A parent.

4) If you could choose three books to be brought back into print, which ones would they be?

I really can't think of anything right now on this one. I own any book I really love, and they are all still in print.

5) Tell me about the movie you want to see that has not yet been created. A movie that has not been created.

So do I get credit and rights if someone actually creates this movie? I'm kinda the last person you should ask about movies, since I never get to see them anymore with the kids and all. But. Interesting question...I'd like a movie with a bit of intrigue that makes me laugh, cry and cheer. Add a music soundtrack with some classical music, Jimmy Buffet, Jon Bon Jovi, Abba and Carly Simon. Actors: Owen Wilson, Jack Nicholson, Dennis Quaid, Harrison Ford, Nicholas Cage. Actresses: Julia Roberts, Carmen Diaz, Barbara Streisand, Shirley MacLaine. Oh, this is getting wacky, isn't it? Setting from the movie Something's Gotta Give. How about a modern day Shanghai Noon meets Notting Hill.

Thank you for visiting and let me know if you need any recipes. Okay, if any of you out there are interested in participating in this interview meme, leave a note in the comments and I'll create a new interview meme.

4 comments:

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Thanks for answering the questions, HipWriterMama! I love the menu. I've just ordered a couple of decadent vegan cookbooks for my collection-- we're not vegan, but it's good to have some splurgy options that don't have dairy or eggs in them.

I think if more girls were familiar with the Grimms' version of "Cinderella," there'd be far less of a desire to be her. Then again, if you're actually in the situation where you're doing backbreaking work with emotional abuse heaped on top, there is someone with whom you can identify strongly.

HipWriterMama said...

Alkelda the Gleeful,
Good luck with the vegan cookbook. It definitely takes some getting used to not having the butter and eggs in a dessert. But, there are quite a few delicious vegan dessert recipes out there! And you can always take the eggs and butter out of a regular recipe to figure out how to make it taste good.

Thanks for the interview! The movie question was a tough one...All around a fun time!

Liz in Ink said...

I cannot BELIEVE how good that dinner menu sounds. I mean, it's insane. I'm actually salivating. My girls don't have allergies but funnily enough, one of their most favorite restaurants is a macrobiotic place near us -- they grow calm and hungry the instant we walk through the door...

HipWriterMama said...

Liz,
It's funny, even though I miss alot of the really bad for you good tasting food, I've found the purer the food, the better it tastes.