Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, March 19, 2007

Inspiration for A Rejection Mope-jection Monday

Last Monday, I wrote about a recent rejection letter and my decision to start posting encouraging thoughts every Monday. I was overwhelmed and extremely grateful for the supportive comments I received from around the blogosphere. These amazing words of hope and encouragement made me ever so glad I wrote about a rejection and my decision to persevere, rather than moping around and hiding from the shame of it all.

I decided to post encouraging thoughts each Monday for two reasons. First, I hope to inspire someone else to reject moping around to take charge of their dreams. If I can give even one person the same feelings of support and encouragement these wonderful people gave to me, that would be just the coolest. My hopes would be this would help guide that one person to take action. Toward their own dreams. Secondly, I find it productive to start off each writing week with a positive confident attitude. Following a creative dream is hard, lonely work, and every bit of inspiration helps give clarity and hope to the journey.

I saw this wonderful movie Friday evening, Akeelah and the Bee. This amazing movie was out in the theaters last year and had great reviews. When I found this movie, I knew I wanted to watch it. My husband rolled his eyes thinking this was just one of those fluffy teen movies. Turns out he was just as mesmerized as I was by this gem of a movie. This powerful movie shows how an unlikely community unites to support a smart determined eleven year old spelling dynamo to follow her dream of becoming a Scripps National Spelling Bee champion. If you want to see commitment, courage, conflict, action, drama, fear of failure, inspiration and a strong heroine who steadfastly works toward her dream despite the odds against her, you will watch this tearjerker of a movie. And you will truly be inspired to follow your own dream.

There is one scene of the movie, where Akeelah's coach, Dr. Larabee, asks her to read a framed quote hanging on the wall. The quote was so good, I became quite obsessed with finding out who was credited with this bit of inspired brilliance. After playing this DVD over again a couple times to hear this lovely nugget of wisdom, I researched it and found Marianne Williamson. This quote is simply spot on perfect for me:

Our Deepest Fear
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? ... And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."

from: A Return To Love:Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles, by Marianne Williamson, Harper Collins, 1992.

I found out while researching this quote that it was originally credited to Nelson Mandela's 1994 Inauguration Speech. Quite inspiring. Neat, huh?

Well, I've got a nice powerhouse of positive energy to start off my week. I just recently discovered Robin Brande's Friday list of nice things and the 7-Imps weekend list of 7 good things. Add my Rejection Mope-jection Monday, a cool support system , hard work and lots of creative ideas, and I've got the fuel I need to go the distance.

Anyone else ready for some support and inspiration? First, watch Akeelah and the Bee. Then. Go. Create. Write. Take Charge. Take Action. Now. And come back next Monday to reject moping around and work toward your Dreams.

10 comments:

Erin said...

This is such a wonderful, wonderful idea. I look forward to reading all future posts on this subject.

Thanks for inspiring me!

Liz in Ink said...

I'm laughing and crying with you, Vivian. I have sooo been there. I used to save all my rejections in a big stack (this was back in the day was a regularly submitting zillions of poems to journals so when I say a big stack I mean whopping) and then, lo and behold, our house flooded and guess what got RUINED?!?!? I did not cry. At least not about that part of it :)

HipWriterMama said...

Erin,
I'm glad you're inspired.

Liz,
Love your story. A proper way to reject those letters.

I expect some wonderful stories about your fun in the sun. Welcome back!

Robin Brande said...

Hip Writer Mama, love the positive vibe.

Agree with you about Akeelah--such an uplifting movie. That girl did a phenomenal acting job.

And I love that Marianne Williamson quote--it's one of my favorites. Her other one that goes along with it, when talking about why we shouldn't clip our own wings, is this: "For every person who says, 'How dare you?' two more will say, 'Thank you for showing me how.'"

Happy Monday!

jules said...

Was Akeelah a fictional movie or a documentary? Just curious. I had thought it was the latter, but I'm not sure now. I think I'm way off (which I usually am).

I have a very special place in my heart for that Williamson quote and have for a long time. Thanks for letting me see it again.

Jules

HipWriterMama said...

Robin,
Thanks for sharing another great quote from Marianne Williamson. Hey, I thought you were going to take a reprieve from blogging while on tour! So glad you stopped by.

Jules,
I'm not sure whether this movie was based on fact or fiction. I was trying to figure this out as well. Glad you had a chance to see the Marianne Williamson quote again. It is wonderful.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

This is a great post and a wonderful idea. I'll put "Akeela and the Bee" on my library holds list (and maybe I'll get it by mid-summer).

You might be interested in the blog happy stuff, written by a college friend of mine. Carissa is one of the most genuninely upbeat people I know and is constantly looking out for the little good things.

HipWriterMama said...

alkelda the gleeful,
Thanks for letting me know about the blog happy stuff. Very nice. And I'm really enjoying your blog.

Kelly said...

The Akeelah story is a based on a true story, but presented as fiction.

I love that movie too, but I sobbed through the whole thing. I'm such a sap.

Liz: A fitting ending for those yucky rejections :)

HipWriterMama said...

Kelly,
That is so cool this is based on a true story. I was crying through the whole movie too. Hubby always gets amused because he can almost pinpoint the exact moment when I'm going to start losing it in a movie.