Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, January 8, 2007

Finding Children's Books in Kid's Music

My kids are SteveSongs groupies. I have to admit, Steve is a pretty good entertainer. He blends cute kid jokes, a great beat and fun music with an educational and positive flair. Who knew listening to a song about Biodiversity could be so fun? It took me awhile to figure out that Steve took two children's books (at least that's all I know about so far) and wrote songs about them. Okay, one song and one entire musical! Very cool indeed.

My husband, kids and I went to a SteveSongs concert this past summer. Of course we bought a couple of CD's. Then, my groupie girls, who were hyped up from all the excitement of dancing and singing along with Steve, rushed to be first in line to get his autograph. So did what seemed to be about 40 other kids. Poor Steve. Nothing like having your personal space invaded by swarmy sweating kids in 90 degree heat. Even if they are admiring fans.

One of the CD's we got was Marvelous Day. Overall, this CD has quite a few inspirational, upbeat songs. And then I heard it. This incredibly beautiful song. A young girl sings Bridge to Terabithia and it just killed me. I cried. (Okay, if you're a kid lit expert, just nod and humor me, because I am now going to share my Duh! moment.)

This song really touched my heart, and I obsessed about it. What did this song mean? Why did this song make me cry? Here I am, worried about Jess and what he's going through. Comforted that his friend (nameless in the song) will always be there for him. I am in awe of the magical world Jess and his friend created over the Bridge to Terabithia, where they are King and Queen. I am wondering why Steve wrote this. All because of a song. Terabithia--what an interesting name. Being the curious gal I am, I had to Google Terabithia. Lo and behold. I discovered Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Patterson. After a little more research on this book on the web, I knew I had to read this book. I read it. I cried.

I am blown away that Steve was able to convey the poignancy, the beauty of Jess's and Leslie's friendship, the tragedy, the sadness and the love into his song. I'd love to know what inspired him translate this beautiful book into a song.

So imagine my excitement, when I discovered another book today at the library that Steve bases his musical on, The King, the Mice and the Cheese, our 2nd CD. The book obviously is called, The King, the Mice and the Cheese and it's by authors Nancy and Eric Gurney. I just finished this quick easy reader book and it's cute. But nowhere as good as Steve's musical. Steve brings to life the King, mischievous mice, wise men, cool lions, stomping elephants, and even takes liberty to introduce a cheese loving princess in this rocking musical. This CD unfortunately bit the dust from too much handling, but what fun it brought to our family. If you enjoy musicals, check this one out--you'll want to sing along with it and it's just plain fun.

1 comment:

HipWriterMama said...

I just remembered, Steve also has a song about Harry Potter on a different CD. I haven't heard it in awhile, but it's a song that's just inspirational.