Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Let's go to the Library!

Ever since I was a little girl, my weekly trip to the library was perhaps my most favorite thing to do. This was my moment, when I could choose any book I wanted and escape into a whole new world. I would bring home a big stack of books and finish reading them in time to return them to the library. It was a chance for me to explore biographies (really enjoy), science fiction (not my favorite), the classics (Pride and Prejudice & Wuthering Heights totally rocked), romance (okay), historical fiction (love it), fairy tales (bring it on), and mysteries (Nancy Drew was my favorite).

Reading brings me such joy. It feeds my soul and provides me with much nourishment when I simply want to read, need a little bit of inspiration or just want to run away and find a new life. I'm one of those people who can get totally immersed in a good book. It doesn't matter what chaos there is in the background or how many people are around. If the book truly interests me, the book and I are the only ones in the room. I hope to give my children the same love of reading. We go to the library at least twice a week--I do research for my writing, my kids carefully choose their books and movies, and then we hang out and read some stories. The best thing is when A, my 3 year old asks, "Can we go to the library?" or "When are we going to the library?" or even better "Let's go to the library!" I think I'm raising a book lover! How cool is that?

So here it is, the day after Christmas. I had hoped the kids could play while I started cleaning up after all the Christmas festivities. What do you know, 2 of my kids thought it would be a good idea to go to the library. You'd think the kids would be more interested in playing with their newfound treasures from Santa. Well, why not? I'd rather be in the library than cleaning the kitchen.

Some children's books we chose:
Monkey Lost by Ed Heck
Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
Arthur and the School Pet by Marc Brown
Junie B. Jones, Mushy Gushy Valentine by Barbara Park
Millicent Min, Girl Genius by Lisa Yee
Rotten School, The Big Blueberry Barf-off! by R. L. Stine

Go the library and open up your world. I dare you to add this to your New Year's Resolutions. You'll be glad you did.

2 comments:

Jen Robinson said...

I really like your blog. You have a very distinct voice (which bodes well for you as a writer, I think). Thanks for linking to my blog!

I love libraries, too. If I had kids, I would want to take them to the library at every possible occasion. What a nice post!

HipWriterMama said...

Thanks Jen for visiting my blog and for your awesome words of encouragement.

Your top 5 posts were great. I especially loved "Read the books your children will read" and "Cool Girls of Children's Literature." Very important. Very cool. Thanks.